I also have the KX3 with 2m module and ATU.

My understanding is Auto is used to tune the antenna but you then switch to MAN to operate after the ATU tunes to your antenna (my KXPA100/KXTA100 works the same way).

My original 2m module (kit) did not reach full output so I returned the module to Elecraft and they fixed it. But I still only see 2.5w output on my Bird meter with 25C element into Bird load. My guess the Bird is off calibration though 5% of 25 is 1.25w, so it could be just the limit of the Bird's accuracy. I use it to drive a 60w MOT amp that only needs 2w drive so all good. My KX3 only outputs 12w on HF but I haven't upgraded firmware so maybe that would increase to 15w. No matter as the KXPA100 only requires about 5.5w drive for 100w out on 80-10m and 8w provides 80w on 6m (which is normal).

I think the ATU is kind of fussy at times and I have to redo the tuning to have it work right. I usually trust the power & SWR meter on the KXPA100 for day to day use.

I have two Bird meters (one is permanently in my 2m-eme antenna line). A couple years ago I discovered the calibration limits of Bird elements when using a 250E element to measure my 150w 1296 amp. It only read 125w. But the element is rated for 400-1000 MHz and falls off above that (which explains the low reading).

I now have a 600w amp on 1296 and use directional couplers and my HP432A mw power meter. The 250E and 500E are grossly inaccurate at 1296.

BTW Bird dummy loads can be found on e-bay and other ham lists. They are rated to 1000 MHz.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com