Hello everyone. I just wanted to give an update and post a question. I spoke
with don last week was working on a few xv transverters. After speaking with
don I found the control cable from the K-3 was not fully seating in the plug
due to screws on the plug were not in there proper place. Fixed that and
everything started to work. But I was having some stability problems with the
XV144 model transverter Don once again stated to check the attachment of the
power module that it is grounded through the board where bolted to it. I also
to some pics of the board. And for some reason when I looked at them I noticed
all the flux I had not cleaned off the board. Never really noticed it much
before even when looking at it through a large lighted magnifying glass. So I
cleaned up the board. And the instructions have you putting a small washer
between the board and the power module. So as he stated the is where the
grounding is happening and a bad ground would affect the stability. I rep
 laced the washers with ones slightly larger to give a little more contact
area. I believe it was Don that told me Elecraft sells or did sell A power
module that the mounting area is thicker so there is no washers required there
used as a spacer. But now everything is good. When I turn it on cold I will get
about 22 watts out with 20 indicated. When I leave it on for a hour or so and
everything is up to temp. I get about 20 watts out with 20 still indicated. So
every thing seems to be good on the XV144 model.
                The question I have is on the XV50 At first it did not work I
found Q5 to not be biasing. So I replaced it. This kit was partially put
together by my father in law who purchased it before he passed. Then about ten
years later I decided to finish it. But any how when I went to replace Q5 it
looked like two of the legs may have been solder bridged and shorted. Maybe it
as not bad. But I was already unsoldering it and had a new one so I just went
ahead and replaced it. Then it would turn on after that. Then in the alignment
I was not getting voltage at TP5 with the radio keyed. Re soldered some joint I
found that looked suspect and once again cleaned all the flux from the board. I
had voltage at TP5 for a short time. Then it went away upon investigating I
realized I did not have that coax selected at the coax switch to go to the
dummy. So I guess I transmitted into an open ended coax. Probably SWR way to
high. And I probably burned up the power module. Looking fr
 om the front of the Xverter on the third lead toward the rear I have 13 VDC.
On the second one back I get 4.4 VDC when keying. But never get any worth while
at the fourth one back. All I get there is about .011  when keyed. So IT looks
like the power module is getting power and is being keyed but I am not getting
anything out of it. Just hoping for someone to tell me if this is correct and
maybe if I can get this part from Elecraft or not.

Joe AB3JN