Thanks for the write-up and especially the photos. Takes me back to my Sierra hiking days mid-1970's! 1977 I logged nearly 500 miles in the mountains (every weekend). I think there were less crowds back then. Solo hiking was quiet-serene. I also backpacked with the JPL Hiking Club back then. We sumitted Mt. Whitney 14,000+ but that is a "walk up" hike. But you really feel the altitude above 13,500 where we dropped our packs. I hiked with 60-lbs back then.

Only took a 2m-HT in those days. Made SF area from Lassen crater rim. Wish I could still do the hiking but only drive the high roads, now. Where we live in AK the terrain-climate is similar to 9,000 feet in the Sierra but we are only 138-foot ASL.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com