Interesting subject. The two big X factors in success that are seldom mentioned
are propagation and most importantly-operating skills. The other day I set out
for a short SOTA activation wanting to set up a portable 2 element vertical
beam developed by JP1QEC. I’ve used it with good results on 20M as compared to
my typical end fed. Anyway-I forgot the poles which are essential to properly
erect it,so what to do? I usually pack a variety of small portable wire
antennas ,so not wanting to waste the outing I tossed a wire into a fairly low
tree branch. My intended band 20 was packed with contesters fun the NAQP and
furthermore the answer wouldn’t load below  3:1 despite extra radials
Well-let’s try 30 and 40
just because. It turned out 30 was open and I managed 3 ‘S2S’ (summit to
summit) contacts,and one on 40. Probably NVIS,but
Antenna strength was better  than I expected-I worked  my 4 for a valid
activation and a few more beside. Definitely less than optimal antenna but
sometimes you just need to get out and operate. As I tell my CW students-get on
 and operate with what you’ve got.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net