Here in Alaska, we have frequent power outages. More often in winter due to wind storms knocking down wires.

A few years ago we bought a 6500w Honda inverter generator to provide emergency power. Its large enough to supply the entire house load. One of the interesting things was noting the drop in radio noise when power is off. We see no lights in the neighborhood other than ours so any noise would be made in our house. 2m noise drop almost to S0. Normal quiet times with commercial power runs S3. Only see S2 or less on 2m when running our generator. At times local noise on 2m rises to S7 which renders the band unusable except strong local signals.

I just set up my 6m eme system and measured S6/7 noise with the ARR preamp. PR6 shows S3/4. ARR gain is 25-dB vs about 15-dB for the PR6, so I added a 10-dB attenuator in-line with the ARR preamp which now matches the PR6 noise floor pretty well. ARR is closer to the antenna with 0.5 dB NF whereas the PR6 is about 0.7 dB NF. Not really noticeable with local signals but makes a little improvement with weak eme signals.

When I first came to AK, I lived off the grid (about 2-3 miles from nearest power lines (town of pop 75). 80m band was S0 on my dipole at night. Really heard well back then. I now live 100 miles west of there in a buried utility area (2 to 5 acre parcels) which probably helps (though overhead lines are only 1/2 mile away. HF is typically S5 noise with my K3 (preamp off). I use the PR6 on 10m & 6m so that raises the noise floor a bit. Our pop is 4,000 spread over 76 square miles with a city of 15,000 12 miles south.

Going to bush towns is no insurance for low noise. I worked in a town 400 miles west of Anchorage (pop 3500) and tried setting up a long yagi on 2m on roof above the TV station. Noise was over S9 (due to arc igniters in their furnace). 2m was totally unusable (trying for a long shot to Anchorage). They ran a monitor on the AM radio station which blared horrible noise when they shut down the transmitter at night.

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail:
dubus...@gmail.com