Date: Wed,  2 Dec 2020 14:51:02 -0500
From: Bill Frantz <fra...@pwpconsult.com>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Used antenna - Arecio antenna collapses

There are some interesting tidbits about Arecibo:

Joe Taylor, K1JT, or wsjt-x fame, did some of the work that lead
to his Nobel Prize at Arecibo. His also mounted an 'expedition'
in April 2010 to use the Arecibo Radio Telescope to conduct
moonbounce with Amateurs around the world using voice, Morse
code, and digital communications. [Wikipedia]

The Arecibo radio telescope was used as a powerful radar to
study other objects in the solar system. Things at certain
distances could not be studied because by the time the
transmitted signal reflected back, the Earth had turned enough
that the radio telescope was pointed in the wrong direction.

It's definitely a sad occurence. I sympathize with the people
who use black humor to handle their sadness.

73 Bill AE6JV

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail: