On Monday 17 July 2006 at 0118 Jim (AL7FS) wrote ...

What is the advantage of the G Rev over the D Rev?  Asked another way, what
is the difference between the D and G?  There had to be a reason for the
redesign.

I have D Rev and have not yet installed it.  I would like to know if there
is any advantage to paying the $9.00 for the G Rev.

Hi Jim,

    If you have a fully loaded K2 and only purchased our headers in case you
ever needed to remove an option, then there's no need to upgraded.  On the
other hand, if you have a bare K2 and plan to make it "Plug & Play Ready",
then rev. G is something to consider since the headers will be installed
permanently.

                                --- - - - ---

    This redesign was initially undertaken to address "RF concerns" which
recently kept one new K2 builder (a retired RF Engineer) from using our
"Plug & Play Ready" assembly approach.  In addressing this issue we added
ground planes, re-routed the trace that replaces RF-W1, and shortened the
signal paths on the UN-KNB2.

    We don't have the instruments necessary to determine whether there's a
measurable improvement between rev. D and rev. G.  If there were, it would
likely only affect the two headers at the back of the RF board since they
carry the un-amplified received signal.

    There is also a mechanical improvement in rev. G with the addition of an
UN-KNB2 mounting hole.  This might be an advantage if you operate
portable/mobile.

                                --- - - - ---

    There are some subtle changes that only affect assembly.  Rev. G has
fewer break-away tabs, a bottom silkscreen, and a built-in SIP connector
separation aid.

    For our European customers, the rev. G UN-K60XV has a center ground pad
for the Murata ceramic filter 40m narrow BPF mod.

    Lastly, there are a few things that we just wanted to improve upon in
rev. D.  All of the text is now right-side up, and the UN-K60XV no longer
blocks the RF-L4 (80m BPF) adjustment slug.

73,
Gary, KI4GGX
K2 #4067