This is a little bit "tongue-in-cheek" reply:

Only sure way to avoid lightning is to live where there is no lightning.

I happen to live in such a location. We hear thunder every other year and see.see/hear lightning about once out of four years.

Odds of an earthquake or volcano eruption is much higher (in Alaska on the "ring of fire") with four active volcanoes within sight (closest is 50-mile away and has erupted three time while I have lived up here). There are 141 active volcanoes in Alaska roughly aligned along the Aleutian island chain and Alaska Peninsula. I live at the northern end of that.

The climate is maritime as I live two miles from Cook Inlet which is a 200+ mile long salt-water sound extending from the Northern Pacific. So we do not get the extremes in temperature that produces lightning (summer average 55-65F). Only 70-miles north Anchorage gets more of that weather. Interior AK gets hundreds of strikes per day in summer.

location-location

73, Ed - KL7UW
  http://www.kl7uw.com
Dubus-NA Business mail: