This bothered me a bit, so I took a good look at the source code and did some
testing. my results may be interesting.

Chuck’s description with the K3S Not connected to the KPA are correct. When
nothing is connected to the band lines, they are pulled high inside the KPA500.
In the two radio modes that rely on BAND inputs, this would be an invalid band
(1111) and not allow the amplifier to go into OPER mode. Chuck is correct here
in that switching to either analog or serial mode will allow the operation he
desires.

But, there is another choice. When the KPA500 is in one of the BCD modes (RADIO
= K3 or BCD), and the band signals indicate a valid band, then the KPA will go
into OPER mode and should work properly.
Now, how can this happen with a K3 or K3S attached? The K3/K3S has resistive
pull-ups on the band signals, so the signals are pulled up to Vcc when they are
not driven to ground. Vcc is the 5V regulated power bus in the transceiver when
it is powered. But when the K3/K3S is powered off, the 5V rail will sink to the
0V level as the capacitors bleed off. That means that the band signals are
actually pulled to 0V (ground) a short time after the K3/K3S is powered off.
This combination defines a valid band, and if the KPA is set to K3 or BCD
modes, the amplifier will actually switch to the 60 meter band. It will also go
into OPER mode if you tap the OP button.

So, the alternative solution is to leave the K3S attached, power it off, wait
until the KPA500 switches to 60 meters, then you can switch the KPA into OPER
mode, switch the input to the alternate rig, and start operating.

73!
Jack, W6FB