Hello Again,

Sorry for being so “mysterious” yesterday. Several of you have written, some
with helpful suggestions, but many being curious about what I thought was
“suspicious” about the KAT500 transaction.

Briefly, I have learned when you place a “WTB:” ad on QTH.com, you often
encounter one of the lurking scammers, who will offer to sell you the item you
are wanting. They will spoof an unsuspecting, legitimate ham, who does not
include an email address in their QRZ listing. There are several tell-tale
signs of such an operation, and such was the case yesterday with the offer to
sell me KAT500, SN 0296.

I wrote this group yesterday, hoping that perhaps the rightful owner would step
forward. Sure enough, last evening the real owner of the equipment contacted
me. Interestingly, asking for a close-up photo clearly showing the Serial
Number will usually stop these guys in their tracks, but yesterday the scammer
provided me with that photo. These guys are becoming very sophisticated.

Anyway, thanks for bearing with me while I outed this scammer.

73 es Stay Safe,

Jim – WS6X

P.S. I’m still looking for a KAT500. Any offers? 😊