As a longtime CW instructor and operator I absolutely recommend mode B. It’s
easier to learn despite what you might hear from some comments,and it’s
particularly easier to handle compound letters such as C,Q, Y,etc. A requires
you to make an extra movement to complete many characters. One very helpful
practice method is to use a metronome at a slow tempo, say 40-60 beats and
practice your characters. As soon as students see that releasing the paddles to
create that last Dit or dah they’ll grasp it as more useful and less movement.
It takes a bit of practice but will make for cleaner and more relaxed sending
as you won’t have to make that last extra move to complete the last Dit or dah.
    Many newer rigs only incorporate mode B-why? It’s far and away the most
popular because it’s easier to use. And B will stop you from slapping the
paddles which can lead to poor timing,and potentially causing the paddles to
skid around if they’re not well anchored. It’s rhythm and conservation of
movement.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net