That basically requires measuring I and Q components from the reflected power coupler, rather than just magnitude. That, in turn, means deriving a reasonably accurate quadrature copy of the main transmit signal. I suspect one of the factors here may be that the tuner has a wider matching range than the dynamic range of the reflected power sensor.

However, even with the existing hardware, if you are in the dynamic range of the reflected power coupler, you can work out which constant SWR circle you are on on the Smith chart, and I suspect that, if you probed with carefully chosen partial corrections you could probably find two solutions with one more measurement, and remove the ambiguity with the third, even using the existing hardware. The third could probably be based on one of the two solutions.

I'd still suggest the biggest problem is the dynamic range of the reverse coupler, as, once you have an in range SWR, you can use a minimum finding algorithm to home in.

Incidentally, if you do need to do a brute force search, using a Gray code progression will be kinder on the relays than linear sweeps.

Some of this may actually already be being done.
--
David Woolley