Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2021 21:05:21 -0700
From: Jim Brown <j...@audiosystemsgroup.com<mailto:j...@audiosystemsgroup.com>>
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net<mailto:elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] KAT500 ANT1 problem

On 7/11/2021 1:52 PM, Dave wrote:
> What had apparently happened was that I had a batch of the offshore made
> "Amazon Special" PL-259s that appear to have a slightly oversize center
> pin.

For several decades, I've served on the Standards Committee of the Audio
Engineering Society with representatives of the two best mfrs of audio
connectors -- Switchcraft and Neutrik. Both report having had problems
with counterfeits of their parts, and that out of tolerance pretty
common. Some major mic mfrs, both US and EU, have reported
counterfeiting of their products.

Years ago, I learned that cheap, no-brand connectors are a very
expensive mistake. When I got back on the air in 2003, I stocked up with
several dozen adapters that, over the next ten years caused me no end of
grief.

In North America, if a UHF, BNC, or type-N connector isn't branded
Belden or stamped with a MIL part number, it's junk.

73, Jim K9YC