The reason I don’t suspect the PIN diodes is that the KPA works properly with
the K3. The K3 does not have a magical ability to repair KPA PIN diodes, so it
most likely is not a problem there.

This is probably a K3 without the new K3S I/O board, which means it has pull-up
resistors on the BAND lines. When the K3 is powered off it pulls those lines
down, which is the same as 60 meters.
But, it will only change the band one time in this situation.

My biggest curiosity is why unplugging the AuxIO cable will cause the KPA to
not go into OPER mode. There must be something else connected for this to
happen. Jim, you might try unplugging the cable from the back of the KPA to
test this. Once we have that working, we can move on from there. And perhaps
find a way to get our direct email path working again...

73,
Jack, W6FB