It was written:

>The proper designation is KAT1...

I wish Elecraft had chosen a little more logical system of model numbers for
their accessories, one that began with the model number of the rig to which
they apply.  Thus, K1AT, or even K1-AT, rather than KAT1, for the K1 antenna
tuner.  The KAT100 always makes me think of something for the K1, but it's for
the K2!  At the least it should have been a KAT2100. KAT2-100, or KAT1002, or
better yet, the K2AT100.

While talking model terminology, let's not forget that there's no such Elecraft
animal as a K-1, K-2, or KX-1.  They are K1, K2, and KX1.  This "no pointless
dash" convention I happen to like.  However, I do think it was ill-advised to
give the KX1 that designation.  People tend to confuse it with the K1, or
consider it an improvement over or replacement for the K1, which it certainly
is not as far as RF performance is concerned.  What was wrong with calling it a
K3?  And when the K2's successor arrives, that would be the K4.  The K1
successor could be the K5.  (Given the obviously higher cost of producing a K1
compared to a KX1 for about the same retail cost, I doubt we'll ever see a K1
successor. )  I hate to think that all future Elecraft products performing at
the K2 level or above must have a 2 in the model number, while those below must
have a 1.

Mike / KK5F