Two questions on using my new K4D for data mode, specifically, FT8.

First, with both VFOs set to DATA mode, no matter what I do I am only able to
get two bars on the ALC meter. I read in the operator’s guide that I should
keep it under the “5” mark. On my K3, I always kept four solid bars and the 5th
flickering. Obviously two bars is waaaay under that “5” mark, but why, when I
advance the MIC level from 1 all the way to max, does the ALC meter only stay
at two bars? I am able to make contacts on FT8 so the thing is working, but I’m
puzzled. Should I be able to get more than two bars of ALC in DATA mode?

Second - the K4 seems to think for itself. After scratching my head regarding
that ALC level issue, I decided to try using USB mode. I put both VFOs into USB
and…… this sneaky radio automatically switched both of ‘em back to DATA mode as
soon as I transmitted. Is that normal / expected?

Jim / K7TXA