OFDM is also what is used for [A]DSL, and, but at UHF, or SHF, digital TV (terrestrial and satellite). It's also, at least in Europe, for digital radio, at VHF. I think it is also used for 4/5G mobile. phones.

It is not intrinsically secure. It's main advantage is that it gets close to the theoretical (Shannon) limits on error free bit rates in the presence of purely Gaussian noise, and has good multipath tolerance (not useful for ADSL, though).

Encryption isn't required. Scrambling may be done to avoid spectral peaks, but actually encryption, if used, is done at a higher level.

--
David Woolley