Hi Pete,

First of all, the „active“ part of the USB cable is the USB-to-serial
converter. This communicates with your computer even if the cable is not
plugged into your transceiver. So to find the root cause, I would not plug in
the transceiver end of the cable at all for the following:
1. Open the device manager on Windows, maybe the easiest way is typing „device
manager“ into the search field of the start menu.
2. Plug and unplug the USB cable and  observe the entries under COM port s and
see if a port appears and disappears. This way you can find out which COM port
is the one you have to use in your CAT software.

If you cannot find a COM port in that way, Windows might not associate the
correct driver to the converter in the cable. In this case, maybe consult the
manuals or re-install a current version of the FTDI USB-to-serial driver.

Vy 73 de Stefan, DK7STJ

--
Stefan Jansen    ***    E-Mail: dk7...@darc.de