I believe what Wayne meant to say was’now replace the AX1 with a resistor’ not
a wire. Nonetheless the AX1 and 2 still serve a definite purpose in portable
operating that a resistor or light bulb won’t 🤪. And I fail to see what the
problem is with using a counterpoise,even if it’s doing some of the radiating.
Most antenna systems that are unbalanced (verticals,end feds,etc) require a
counterpoise. Are you claiming that a resistor with a counterpoise is as
effective as shortened vertical?? I believe Rudy Severn’s work has already
demonstrated the effectiveness of short verticals with various counterpoises.
Yesterday I did a SOTA activation where I worked Japan,France and Spain with 5W
and the AX1. Obviously the altitude advantage is great and I used 3 13’
radials. I also try to position myself near a sloping edge to maximize my
radiation effectiveness (as Tom Schiller N6BT advocates). I doubt a 50 ohm
resistor would achieve this… and just in case someone says ‘it’s only because
the other stations have big antennas etc ‘ some of the contacts were what we
call ‘S2S’ or summit to summit with other activators using similar equipment
and power. Perhaps hiking to a bare summit and figuring out what gear you’d
haul on your back will give you a certain perspective and appreciation.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net