Thanks Dave for the reply. That sounds like a great antenna and I’d definitely
like to see a picture and maybe a bit more description if you’d care to. I
enjoy playing with portable antennas and might try to build something like that
over the winter. One that I put together last year was a two element vertical
Yagi based on the article by a Japanese ham (forgot the call) in QRP quarterly
a few years back. It uses a driven element and a quarter wave reflector,and the
reflector uses a quarter wave matching section connected as a radial. Think of
basically a ‘U’ shaped setup. The original was suspended from tree branches but
I set it up for ground mount using two 20 foot small fiberglass fishing poles.
It actually gave some reasonable gain on 20 and you could steer it a bit by
moving the reflector.
For field day our club is QRP CW and two of us built a 2 element wire Yagi for
40 from an article in QST a few years back. We feed it with open wire line and
because our site has very tall trees we have it up about 60
feet. This year we set it up as a sloper.  Killer antenna on 40 and actually
loads and works quite nicely on 20 and 15.  We also put up a horizontal loop
for 80 at the same height. We’ve either won or placed 2nd in our division for a
few years. Nothing beats big wire,but when I’m hiking I gotta rethink
everything and go small-thus the AX1/2 and simple wires.

Dan Presley 503-701-3871
danpresley@me. com
n7...@arrl.net