By the way, I no longer have a K3 or P3 (lost in a house fire) so this is from memory...

> Since the internal display seems to show OK, no matter how briefly,
> I'm thinking this is not an internal display connection issue.

Agreed.

> This seems to be a power on reset issue of some sort.

Can you send/receive RS-232 commands to the P3?  If so, then the power must be on.

If you haven't already, I would try moving the power-on jumper (on the rear-panel I/O board at the back of the P3) to the "always on" position (jumper pins 1 and 2).

> I take it that the 3.3V supply is 'on' as long as 12V external is supplied to the P3?

No, it's only on when the P3 is on.

What happens is that when the P3 CPU wakes up, one of the first things it does is to enable the PWON signal to the I/O board which holds the power on.  If that is not working for some reason, then moving the power-on jumper to "always on" should force the P3 to stay on.

Alan N1AL