It's not actually SWR that kills PAs, but rather the resulting over-voltage or over-current. With an open circuit load, the risk would be mainly over-voltage, but whilst that would be a problem with a class C PA, I'm not so sure that there is a big risk from class AB, push-pull, ones.

A PA might survive a very high SWR for some loads, but be very fussy for other ones.

--
David Woolley