I'm fairly sure that (forward power) - (reverse power) gives the correct nett output power, before cable and antenna losses. I'd need to review the maths to be sure. Most reflected power ends up re-re-reflected, as additional forward power. A high SWR will giver reflected power almost as high as forward power.

--
David Wooley