My K3 into the KPA500 for over ten years . . . .   The FAN REV is 1.54
(this might be software)    The resting temp is 27C.  When on RTTY I set
the FAN to 4.  Otherwise 2 for most of the time.  Knowing temperature is
the killer of electronics (short of lightning) I try to keep things cool.
For 10 years I have had a 24 V muffin fan running at 12 V sitting on top of
the amp (and another one on the K3).

To rule out VSWR issues, how about connecting the KPA500 directly into a
dummy load.

Pete W4WWQ

--
Pete Lascell