My CM-500 is about 4 years old, and shedding ear-pads, but it works fine with my K3.

73, Pete N4ZR

On 7/31/2023 6:52 AM, Alan Bloom wrote:
I had never used my CM-500 on a K3 so I can't do that comparison. But on the K4 I had to turn on the internal mic preamp and set the mic gain all the way to maximum.  That seemed to give about the correct level - I could talk at normal loudness to get 5 on the ALC.

I also use the CM-500 on my laptop to record a radio show.  I had to turn up the gain close to max on the computer as well.  I think late-production CM-500s just tend to have low microphone sensitivity.

Alan