Lightning is attracted to the highest point contact on earth from a cloud
passing overhead. If your tower, or tree in the yard, the chimney on your
roof, or the roof itself can be the closest to the heavily charged cloud
passing just overhead. When the leader from earth, tree, building or tower
is attracted to the opposite charge in the cloud and contact is made through
the ionized air, the charged cloud will complete the contact and then the
intense lightning bolt discharges to earth or structure with millions of
volts of energy.

   With that in mind, the best way to handle that charge is to spread out
that discharge of all the energy.

I have ground rods placed around my tower at 10 foot intervals, all the
ground rods are connected with #6 stranded copper wire buried about a foot
deep. The coax cable has the shield grounded at the copper rod at the base
of the tower. I also have the coax shield grounded at the ground rod just
outside the shack before it enters the house. There are a total of 8 ground
rods around my house starting at the utility power line input including the
ground rod at the coax entrance. They are all interconnected by buried # 6
stranded copper wire.

I also have an antenna  (Alpha) 4 pole switch to ground the coax inside the
house. A final measure is to disconnect the equipment from utility power at
the station as well.

We do not receive as many storms as Southern states do here in MA, but it
only takes ONE, and we had a bad one back in 2005. It was a ground strike
somewhere on our hill and it knocked out computers, TVs garage door openers,
telephones, and other electronics all across the hill to as many as 20
houses. The flash of lightning was blinding as I just happened to be looking
towards the windows facing the hill behind our house where a high tension
tower and lines cross the hill about 300 feet behind the house.

I remember checking for damage throughout our house and I witnessed blue
corona from lower level outlets , very unnerving to say the least.

So I take grounding VERY seriously and followed the ARRL latest book on
Bonding and Grounding. Spread out the discharge of millions of volts of
energy.

Dick / W1REJ