From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net <elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net> On
Behalf Of Jim Brown
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2023 5:25 PM
To: elecraft@mailman.qth.net
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] A dumb question about lightning

On 7/31/2023 2:14 PM, jerry wrote:
> Interesting.  Suppose the service entrance is at one end of the house,
> and the ham shack at the other end?  I don't think it's physically
> possible to provide a low inductance path that's 60 feet long, is it?

I've posted a link to my tutorial, which covers this, but which folks who need
to know what's in it haven't bothered to read. Fred is absolutely correct, BY
LAW, all grounds in a premises MUST be bonded together. In his ARRL book on the
topic, to which I contributed, Ward Silver, N0AX, recommends a perimeter ground
ring, connecting multiple driven rods. A full perimeter ring wasn't practical
for the building that houses my shack, so I did a half perimeter ring from the
sub-panel for the building to the shack on the other side of the building.

Jerry is entirely correct -- indeed, the rule of thumb for bonding between a
tower and the building(s) where there's no mains power at the tower is to NOT
bond if the tower is more than 100 ft from grounds for the building (and some
references suggest 60 ft).

The whole point of bonding all the grounds is so that in the event of a strike,
the entire premises rises as closely as practical to the same potential,
minimizing the potential difference between grounded equipment and surfaces.

Re-posting the link. http://k9yc.com/GroundingAndAudio.pdf  And it's NOT mainly
about audio.

73, Jim K9YC

delivered to b...@wjschmidt.com