I bought a CM-500 not too long ago.  (I think it was late last year.)  I don't have any way to compare it to earlier production, but this one does seem to have low microphone sensitivity.  On the K4 I have to turn on the preamp and set the mic gain to maximum to get 5 on the ALC meter at normal speaking levels.

I also use it for recording a radio show on a computer sound card. Again, I have to set the gain to near maximum to get proper levels.

By the way, for the radio show I use the equalizer in Audacity to boost the bass.  Apparently the CM-500 is meant for communications use so doesn't have as good bass response as the mic I used to use.

Alan N1AL