I owe my interest to an unknown person, likely a ham. When I was around 11 I
found an Allied Radio and a Lafayette Radio catalog in an abandoned
homesteaders cabin on the family ranch that some hunters had left behind after
using it for shelter during the Montana deer hunting season. Old catalogs often
served as TP in such circumstances. Until then I had no idea shortwave radio
existed and being a little remote, we had just gotten REA. In went bingo cards
for current catalogs.
 Not much later I’d taught myself to solder and built a Knightkit Star Roamer.
Even joined the ARRL as an associate. But no one to work with me on the code;
the one local ham I could find refused.
Then as a GE freshman, the EE demo was really boring (the microchip revolution
hadn’t hit the curriculum yet) so ME it was but engineering never the less. And
more career changes ahead.

73,
John K7JG

Sent from my iPad