Looking at the AT1 manual, the switches and traces are certainly
not 50 Ohm transmission lines.  As such, one gets all kinds of
stray behavior.  While you do not say at what frequency or range
of frequencies you made your test, I would suspect you will see
higher SWR as one goes up in frequency and that the departure
from 50 + j0 will be higher on 144 MHz than on 1.8 MHz.

As a general matter, one may be able to "flatten" the SWR somewhat
by placing (and "tuning") shunt capacitors across the input/output
BNC connectors to compensate for the inductance of the traces and
switches.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV