Andy:

With my K3S station I use the AUX cable system between the K3S connected to the KAT500 and then connected from the KAT500 to the KPA500.   No interrupter is needed.   The AUX lines handles the proper control for the tuner and the amp.  I do NOT use the Key Line cables, sometimes called PTT, to handle T/R switching. Correctly configured, the K3S is set for 20 watts TUNE power and Power Per Band, as required.   I find no need for multiple methods.  My general philosophy is; "more connectors, more cables equal more problems".   KISS

In the KAT500 manual, page 5, Figure 1 Cabling Diagram, is the better and safer way to configure the system.  NO key line interrupter is needed.

As to the Kenwood, I have no knowledge of the system.

73

Bob, K4TAX