Steve-
which radio and transverter are you using?
In some transverters, the Local Oscillator drifts with temperature -
sometimes a lot.  This is typically more pronounced on the higher bands,
but can be troublesome even on 2m.   I used to have the Elecraft external
transverters (XV144, XV222, XV432), and tamed the drift quite a bit by
adding the optional ovens on the LO crystals on each of them.  Not perfect,
but better.

You mentioned it happens as you transmit, so it very well could be due to
components heating up while transmitting.

Another thing to check is the input voltage to both radio and transverter.
If the voltage is sagging during transmit, you may have similar symptoms.
Make sure your power supply can handle the load, and that all of your DC
wiring is good and has minimal voltage drop.  You might also try without
the amp to see if that additional load on the power supply is making any
difference.

Good luck! let us know how it goes.
73 de W0ZF
I have no experience with the internal transverters on any Elecraft radio.

73 de W0ZF