According to the DSP software engineer (Lyle Johnson) ALC begins at the 5th bar, and with the 5th bsr flickering shows no ALC action - 5th on solid, it does show some ALC.

To keep the audio drive for digital modes correct set so the 5th bar just flickers.  Less than that the audio drive will ramp up and produce "power hunting" at the output.  More than that, you will go into distortion (ALC Compression) which will not produce the cleanest signal.

The Fred Cady books also agree on that.

73,
Don W3FPR