My wife gave me a K1 kit for a combination Christmas and birthday gift in 2003.  After about 33 hours of super fun construction, it made its first QSO on 2/29/2004.  Some 2037 QSOs later it was "retired" to a shelf, after making its last (for me) QSO in May 2018.  It was an absolutely fantastic radio and the only reason that I retired it was because, over the subsequent years, I had also built a KX1 for portable ops, and a K2 to use as my main rig at home.  Two years ago, after getting a KX3, I decided to clear up some shelf space and "simplify" the shack, so I donated the K1, along with a bunch of other gear, to an ARC in my area that runs some public school clubs for middle and high school students.  I almost immediately regretted getting rid of the K1, but take some comfort in knowing that it has since been used to encourage young people to get into the hobby.  (I still have my KX1, K2, KX3, and have an order in for a KH1, and will probably leave those for my heirs to donate!)

I kept a detailed written record of my K1 build, and this posting prompted me to read through that record.  Some great memories!

73,
Paul - N8XMS