[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Modern DF arrays can fix a position from a single location. Modern
> DF arrays measure the phase differences very accurately and can use
> the phase difference to obtain directivity and azimuth.

One of the nice things about email reflectors like this one is that you can learn a lot of useful things and also satisfy curiosity about some things you have no use for. Since Eric is allowing the Wullenweber discussion to go on despite general non-relevance to anything Elecraft:

What is the difference between "directivity" and "azimuth," save possibly that azimuth is referenced to some arbitrary zero direction (like North) and directivity maybe isn't? [teeny factoid: the US military aircraft navigation system named TACAN uses a zero direction of East -- always wondered why. Maybe to confuse the enemy?]

How does one obtain a complete set of coordinates for the origin of a received signal using only one passive receiving site (i.e. no transponder for time delay measurement)? I understand bearing (azimuth) from the rx site ... how does one obtain distance?

I did think PA0SIM's phase coherent K2's was kind of cool. I don't know if the phase shifts are exactly the same across separate K2's, but I guess whatever difference there was would be constant and could be factored out?

Inquiring minds want to know.

73,

Fred K6DGW
Auburn CA CM98lw