I too tried the KBT1. One "minus" was my hearing asn't that good anymore after years of working around jet aircraft and doing a lot of shooting under a range shed (before cheap ear protectors were available! They were $125 or more then...early 60's) Anyway the smaller speaker's output too low for me! Another "minus" was the aggravation of getting the batteries in and out.. I opted for an external 8 cell "AA" holder for NiMH 2 A/H cells. Also have a small pack of two 6 volt 3.5 A/H gel-cells that works great. The internal KAT1 coupler isn't very good for 80 or 160 meters. I use an external "L" coupler that is heavier but about the ame size as the K1! Don't do any "portable" 160/80 meter operation anyway as a rule. I may try the "T1" seperate coupler anyway sometime this year just for fun.

73,
Sandy W5TVW
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Morrow" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Wednesday, February 07, 2007 11:19 AM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] New K1 Born Yesterday

wa5pgl wrote:

K1 Serial Number 2305 operational on 2/6/07.
2-Band (20&40)w/Antenna Tuner

That's 2130 K1 units since my number 175 arrived in November, 2000. I ordered it in June, so I waited five months. It was worth it. I'm not all that fond of the monotony of stuffing resistors and capacitors on a PCB, so I bought the K1 in spite of it being a kit, rather than because of it.

Sandy wrote:

You will find the receiver supurb during heavy QRM situations like contests!
Best QRP rig I ever owned.

It's a real gem in the Elecraft line. I know of no other QRP rig that I'd rather carry portable.

I have 4 band board (40/30/20/15) and a 2 band
160/80 meter board.

The roll-off of the elliptical low pass filters on the four-band filter board is much sharper and deeper than that of the very simple filters of the two-band board. I've never seen any spurious-output specs for a four-band K1, but since the two-band K1 has the best figure for spurious output of any Elecraft rig, the four-band K1 can only be even better. It has better performance than the two-band 40m/20m board, and twice the the available bands (including 15m, IMHO the best QRP band when open). How could one beat that combination of *both* improved versatility and improved performance?

If I did it all over again, I'd opt for the little
external tuner (T1?) instead of the internal tuner.

I really like the internal tuner, even though currently mine has recently developed a yet un-diagnosed problem and now never returns a VSWR less than 9.99, even into a dummy load. I tried the KBT1 for more than a year, but eventually discarded it. I don't like sources of chemical leakage and outgassing next to printed circuits.

73,
Mike / KK5F