Jeff wrote:

>I built a K1 in 2004 and sold it.  I'm thinking about building another
>one, but the K1 I had did not go above about 7075 kHz on 40 meters.
>I'd like the band coverage to be up to about 7120 kHz.  As I recall,
>the only way to do that is to replace a capacitor, I think it was, but
>at considerable compromise to selectivity.

The K1 kit comes with two capacitors that may be installed at RF-C120 to give
either about a 80 kHz or a 170 kHz VFO span.  The choice has absolutely *NO*
effect on the selectivity of the K1, which is unchanged and excellent
regardless of VFO span.

Due to the extreme lack of resistance to motion of the VFO pot shaft, some find
that the 170 kHz span makes it difficult to remove their fingers from the VFO
knob without disturbing the setting (which they would also do with the 80 kHz
span option, only the effect wouldn't be as noticable).  This very trivial
problem is easily solved by putting some thin felt material between the panel
and the back of the VFO knob.

With respect to K1 spurious signal rejection at the receiver front-end, the
four-band filter board is better than the two-band filter board.  The
elliptical low-pass filters of the four-band board are far sharper and deeper
than the simple filters on the two-band board.

>...has a KAF2 audio filter mod or something like it ever been
>considered for the K1?

It wouldn't seem to provide much advantage.  The bandwidth of the four-pole
crystal IF filter may be adjusted in three steps from about 200 to 850 kHz.
The selectivity as designed is outstanding.

Mike / KK5F
K1 #175 since 11/2000