To: "Elecraft Reflector" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Thursday, April 05, 2007 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] HF amp kits

Just working from memory here, but wasn't there also a limit that the amateur could only build one such amp a year?

David Wilburn
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
K4DGW
K2 #5982

Jim Wiley wrote:
The 15 db rule applies only to manufactured for sale amplifiers. It does not apply to amplifiers that an individual ham builds for him or herself, particularly when a a kit is not involved.. Section 97.317 of the rules, which is where the 15 db rule appears, applies to the certification of external RF power amplifiers that a manufacturer offers for sale. Home-made amplifiers do not require certification. They must still meet some standards, such as those involving purity of emissions (harmonics, for example) and of course must not be operated above 1500 watts PEP, but that's pretty much it.

I am unsure of how the rule applies to kits, but I think they would be considered a "manufactured product" if all the parts needed to complete the amplifier are contained, in the kit. If, however, a "kit" contained only some of the parts, and could not in itself be assembled into a working amplifier without adding extra parts, then the certification rule probably would not apply.

It would be perfectly legal for a ham to build a home-brew grid-driven amplifier that could take the 10 watt signal from his K2 and boost it to 1500 watts output. Such an amplifier would have (roughly) 22 db of gain. A pair of 4CX800 tubes could accomplish this, I think. Remember also that the old Johnson Thunderbolt could be operated in grid-driven mode, and it had (still has, if you can find one) similar performance, using a pair of 4-400 tubes.

- Jim, KL7CC

Chris Kantarjiev wrote:

The Linear Amp kits seem to need a fair amount of drive. I've been
idly thinking about a linear that would allow me to drive it with
my barefoot K2 and get 600-800 watts out for CW.

The limit is 15 dB and is still in the requirements despite the recent loosening of Part 97. That should give something over 400 watts when driven by a K2. I don't recall whether the "easily- modifiable" rule is still there, so it may be possible to have an amp with an attenuator on the front-end (I heard that one of the Tokyo High Power amps does this, but haven't verified that).

73, Bob N7XY