Gary McKelvie wrote:
Hi to the List,

I'm thinking of buying the kit for the K2 with the 100 watt PA. I will mainly be operating on Digital modes such as PSK 31 MFSK 16 RTTY and Hellschreiber. I will be using a Tigertronics SL 1+ interface but was wondering if there are any known problems with the K2 and any or all of these modes before I buy the Kit and start building.

I switched my RTTY contesting to my K2, primarily to take advantage of the RX filters. I have a splitter in the headphone cord that feeds the audio input on the computer, and the computer audio output directly feeds the mic jack. I juggled the audio input level in Windoze so I can run with the AF gain on the K2 at about half-scale. I use amplified headphones [I'm generally deaf and my hearing aids don't work with phones] and that gives me a comfortable listening level. WriteLog/MMTTY keys the TX via the serial CAT port.

It works way better than just great. I centered my RTTY filters around 1.1KHz, and set them for about 1.0KHz, 800Hz, 400Hz, and 250Hz bandwidth. I rarely use anything but 400Hz. The K2 RX and filtering is so superior to what I had with the FT-847, there isn't even a reasonable way to compare them.

Digital modes are 100% duty cycle when transmitting, and the KPA100 heat sink got very hot, even at 50-60W. I mounted an old 12VDC computer muffin fan on top of the HS with a little bit of sticky backed Velcro, and now at 100W, the HS stays cool to the touch.

I haven't tried PSK31 or other modes. Maybe I'll get around to them, but don't hold your breath :-) Oh, in order to get the RTTY filters to show up in the K2 menu, you have to turn them on. Apparently, they are off when the K2 comes out of the box.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7