Never used a Hexkey here. Tried the Bencher paddles and disliked them very much. I have two paddles I use with automatic keyers: Old Vibroplex "vibrokeyer" which is nothing more than a shortened and reworked "bug", and the German "Palm Key". The Palmkey is very small, but has a great feel to it. I don't use the iambic key "imbically". I'm from the very old school of the Vibroplex bug and Johnson/Mac keys. Wish I still had a Mac Key! My avorite Vibroplex "pattern" is the Champion/Lightning Bug "flat lever" key. I had an Original and even a Presentation once. Didn't like them near as much as the cheaper "flat pattern" ones. I also have a very beat up "Blue Racer" which does a nice job, but always had to add weight to them to make them go slower than 30 WPM dits!

73,
Sandy W5TVW
----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron D'Eau Claire" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Saturday, April 14, 2007 1:09 PM
Subject: RE: [Elecraft] Re: Hexkey

Why would you reverse the normal "thumb for dits, index finger for dashes"
setup? That's been standard since the first bugs and carried over unchanged
into the paddle/keyers.

It sounds like you are running into an essential difference in sending that
has shown up since keyers became common. Although both bugs and keyers
typically use side-by-side paddles, there are substantial differences in how they are operated. A bug requires significant mechanical force and movement
to operate the dit pendulum to make dits and then stop them at the right
moment. Several designs have attempted to reduce the demands of a mechanical bug, but it's still a huge amount of movement and energy compared to simply
accomplishing the contact closure a keyer needs.

Many newer CW ops who never used a bug developed a preference for very
close-spaced contacts that can be operated with a feather touch on the
paddles. That's completely at odds with the action needed for a bug.

Many paddles designed for use with keyers - particularly the earlier paddles
- featured movement and springs much like a mechanical bug: lots of throw
and relatively stiff springs. They were operated like a bug - usually
rolling the whole arm side to side with the fingers held steady to contact
the paddles with sufficient force without wearing out one's finger muscles! The original Vibroplex paddles were one of those designs, like my Scotia and
HamKey paddles.

Then came the "light touch" designs designed to work with an absolute
minimum of movement and force. The Bencher was an early one. People used to
a mechanical bug tended to knock them apart just sending a CQ! Newer
operators learned to hold their arm still and lightly caress the paddles
with their fingertips. Used that way, they work fine.

I can't speak for the HexKey. I use my Speed-X or Vibroplex Bugs at home and
my KXPD1 paddles in the field where it's not practical to haul a bug. The
KXPD1 paddles, by the way, are able to deal with my fist without complaint.

The bottom line is that it all comes down to how you want to operate the
key: strong rolling fist like a bug operator or the feather touch of a keyer operator? If the former, you need to find someone who has really pounded on
the HexKey to be sure it will survive long.

There was a secondary problem with the first Bencher that deserves checking
on any modern paddles. The Bencher uses a single spring that is stretched
around a chrome-plated post in the back. Bumping the key in just the wrong
way would dislodge that spring, causing it and the paddles to fly off of the
base! I suspect the designer assumed they'd be treated like a bug - NOT
bumped! The sensitive springs and pendulum of a bug can be damaged by
careless handling, but operators not used to bugs tended to assume the
paddles were as structurally sound as any straight key. Not so,
unfortunately, and dropping or banging a Bencher was inviting time spent
looking for the spring and paddle mechanisms behind the operating desk or on
the floor somewhere.

Ron AC7AC