I can recommend the M3 FPM1 Frequency Counter and Power Meter..

<http://www.m3electronix.com/fpm1.html>

It's a great kit but the calibration problem still remains.  For
calibration, M3 sells the RF Calibrator which is NOT a kit, but does
come calibrated by M3.

<http://www.m3electronix.com/rfcal.html>

Both are remarkably accurate and I've found them to be very useful
additions to my bench.

Disclaimer:  I do not work for M3 Electronix, I'm just a satisfied
customer.

On Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:30:33 -0500, "Dennis Vavra" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Don,
>
>Thanks for the info regarding the XG2/Freq Ctr. Could you recommend a
>make/model freq ctr for kit building? Iv'e looked on the MFJ web site, but if
>you have better ideas it would be of great help. Preferably one that is not
>too expensive!!
>Dennis Vavra,  AD5LY
>
>Help: http://mailman.qth.net/subscribers.htm
>Elecraft web page: http://www.elecraft.com