John Harper wrote:

John, I wasn't happy with the compromise between having internal batteries or having a decent RF output. 6 internal AA cells provide *significantly* less than half the power the KX1 is capable of but I liked not having to carry an external battery pack, so I installed two rechargeable LiPo batteries in a 2nd bottom case that I ordered from Elecraft.

Now I have more than double the power out with no increase in weight, no decrease in operating time and I still have an integrated package.

FWIW: I used an LiPo battery I got from the local RC Model shop, and it lasted about 6 months before the terminal voltage went to zero and it began to swell. I figured it was just a fluke, and I got another. It resulted in a moderately bad experience ["bad," as in, "it caught fire while I had it plugged into my KX1"]. I am glad it wasn't inside the radio. The good news is that I was able to grab the power plug and fling it out onto the gravel driveway. The bad news is that the driveway was wet. Made for an interesting display to be watched from a distance.

They were a bit pricey. I've now decided not to power my radios with lithium-anything. YMMV

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7