Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:
Much has been written on this reflector about the sound of the sidetone,
particularly the K2's sidetone, and about stability and narrow band
clickless keying, stable signals, with today's operators asking for
razor-sharp selectivity in order to copy signals in a crowded band.
Here are some recordings of actual COMMERCIAL CW maritime signals on the 600
meter (500 KHz) band from the 1970's in European waters

Cool Ron! The calls were different when I was a 16yr old in coastal marine [West coast of NA], but that *is* what 600m sounded like on the nighttime shifts. I'm so used to our current near-perfect spacing from keyers and computer-sent CW, I have to really concentrate to copy from that what I used to so easily. OK...I was younger then. A lot of fists-afloat were pretty bad. Mine on-shore was perfect, of course. I don't remember spark thank God, I'd be much older now if I did and likely dead.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7