-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bill W5WVO
Sent: Wednesday, June 06, 2007 6:39 PM
To: [Elecraft]
Subject: [Elecraft] K3: S-meter calibration (redux)

To recap: In a thread on this list back when the K3 was first
announced, there was a good deal of debate about how many dB an
S-unit should be on a calibrated S-meter. It was pointed out that if
an S-unit is 6 dB, then a signal at the receiver noise floor would be
between S1 and S2 on the meter, which seems rather high; a 5-dB
S-unit, for example, would put the noise floor a lot closer to where
it intuitively belongs on the meter. But it was also pointed out that
the 6-dB S-unit has very deep historical roots, and in IARU Region 2,
it's a published spec, not a matter of endless debate.

All this discussion was based on the universal assumption that S9 is
by definition hard-pegged at 50 uV. It was the one assumption no one
questioned.

Today, ARRL Labs' review of the new TenTec OMNI VII was published on
their website (members only), and it was revealed that the OMNI VII
S-meter is in fact accurately calibrated at 6 dB per S-unit -- but
that S9 is pegged at 67 uV, not 50 uV! Using this higher threshold
for S9 and a 6-dB S-unit, the noise floor drops down to where it
should be -- somewhere between S0 and S1. A 10 dB S+N/N signal of 0.5
uV comes in around an intuitively reasonable S2.

To me, this seems like an elegant and creative solution to the "6-dB
problem," drawing a sensible compromise between tradition and
engineering common sense. It will be interesting to see where the K3
comes down in all this. There seems little doubt that the K3 and the
OMNI VII (in that order, #1 and #2) are going to dominate the
"center" of the transceiver market for a long time. By all rights,
IKenSu should be completely shut out once both the K3 and the OMNI
VIII are in the marketplace. They will have to depend on marketing
hype and brand loyalty -- but who knows, that may be enough to keep
them in the game until they can catch up. IF they can catch up.  :-)

Bill / W5WVO