Kevin Rock wrote:
Do people really use a meter to give signal reports to people?  I thought RST
was to be honest reportage.
   Kevin.  KD5ONS

It's context dependent, Kevin. If it's a DXpedition or a contest, everyone is 5NN. If it's a QRP contest or QSO, everyone is 56N. If you get a report from me, be aware ... I made it up. Best way to tell your real report at my QTH is to watch and see if I answer your questions.

Can't tell you the last time I heard a CW signal that wasn't "xxN" although chirp is a bit more common. The whole system is an anachronism, but old habits die hard. We call it "CW" and mean "communications using the International Morse Code" when CW means "continuous waves."

But then, Sam Morse didn't exactly invent the code which carries his name either.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2007 CQP Oct 6-7