My last business trip I used an old Barker & Williamson apartment antenna from the 6th floor. They offer a newer model today (AP-10) that is basically the same thing with a tapped coil. This antenna is good if you have a balcony or a window that opens without a screen.

On a previous trip I tried a wire down the side of the hotel from the third floor with a ground counterpoise in the room. It was a dummy load.

I've heard of many people using two Slinkies for a shortened 40m dipole. I've been told stretched out six or eight feet they resonate on 40.

As others have mentioned, operating from hotels is a crap shoot. You're never sure what windows you're going to have in a room and there's noise sources galore. Make sure you have a rental car or it's open bar at the conferences if ham radio operating is a bust :-)

Dave Van Wallaghen wrote:
OT I know, but it does relate to my K2 ;-)

Wondering if anyone on the list might have a recommendation for a simple QRP
antenna for use in a hotel? My wife is attending a conference in Chicago in
a couple of weeks and I'm going with. When she booked the hotel, I just
asked that we get a room as high as possible. I'm not sure what we got yet.

I'm taking my K2 (I bought a nice Pelican case for it a few months ago) and
a few spools of small enameled wire. I was thinking of just using a 65' end
fed with a 1/4 wavelength counterpoise for 40m operation. I've also done
some reading on the W3EDP antenna.
Anyone have some decent experiences out there? Or, bad ones that I should
stay away from?
Dave W8FGU
K2 #5099

Blog: http://thek3ngreport.blogspot.com/