A recent Associated Press article discusses a topic that's received much attention on this reflector: the negative consequences of environmental restrictions on lead in solder for electronics. The primary concern the article mentions is that tin, when in an alloy absent of lead, promotes the spontaneous growth of tiny "tin whiskers" that can short traces in circuit boards. Failures stemming from whiskers are cited in electronics ranging from consumer items to satellites. The article as it appeared in my local newspaper had a very dramatic photo of whiskers on a tin-plated tuning capacitor.
http://www.theworldlink.com/articles/2007/10/06/news/doc4707c03901b23958789121.txt

I should note, for newcomers to the reflector, that Elecraft's list of approved solders specifically cautions against using any that are lead free:

http://www.elecraft.com/TechNotes/N0SS_SolderNotes/Elecraft-Recommended%20Solders%2009JAN2007.pdf

Dick, K0KK