In my early days of contesting I would shy away from contests
having a serial number in the exchange.  It was for me a big
time thing to fall behind in the numbers, really embarrassing.
But no more.  As I entered Sweepstakes early Sunday
afternoon I found it interesting that ops would often ask for
a repeat to confirm my unexpected low serial number.

You need a strong station and a lot of experience with good
copying ability to compete for overall high score.  If you insist
on going for high score, make your goal more realistic and more
fun by competing with stations in your own ARRL/RAC section
or local radio club or a friend.  In this way you are competing
with stations in your particular area on this continent.

Forget the high score and all the pressure that goes with it, and
just concentrate on getting a *sweep* of all 80 ARRL/RAC
sections.  Now, there's a challenge for you and a quite difficult
one at that.
de Joe, aa4nn