David, G4DMP wrote:

> When carrying out the power calibration on the K3, I find that TXGN
> in the Config[Tech] menu shows: "Pr80  28" when doing the 50W
> calibration on 80 metres.  It is only on 80m & the 50W calibration
> that I get the "Pr80". On all other bands the Pr80 is not shown
> and I just get a gain figure.

Hi David,

"PR80" means "preamp in use for 80 m transmit" (at the 50-W level). Thanks for noticing that this was left out of the manual.

The transmitter and receiver share the I.F. strip, which is reversible. In TX mode the preamp is used on some bands and power levels but not others, allowing us to optimize per-band gain distribution.

On 80 meters at the 50-watt calibration point, the preamp is turned on by default. It can be turned off within the TXGN HP menu entry if required by tapping the PRE switch. The only difference you'd notice is that the resulting TXGN number, after calibration, would change.

Normally we would only turn this off during signal tracing or as a preamp gain check in TX mode. You can leave it on.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

---