--- Brett Gazdzinski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> While waiting for the bugs to be worked out of the
> K3, I ordered
> a K1 for 80 and 40 meters. The 80 meter parts are
> backordered
> for a week or so, but I have some questions about
> the rig.
>
> Is it not possable to get a 4 band one with
> 80,40,20,and 15
> meters on it?
> If not, what is the reason?

The filter board on a four band K1 has two inductors
and switched capacitors. 40, 30 share one inductor.
20, 15 share one inductor. This is true for each
filter section.
I set my K1 up for 17M instead of 15.

> My main reason for getting the K1 is so I can use it
> in the den to rx
> some cw for practice, without running off to the ham
> shack and ignoring my wife.
> She can watch TV while I copy code with walkman
> style headphones.
>
> I read all the reviews, and they are very good.
> If I make the tuning range 100kc, will the tuning
> rate
> be too fast?

I first set the tuning for 150 KHz, tuned way to fast
and changed it to 80 KHz. After a while I wanted more
range and set it to 130 KHz, made a few QSOs at 7120
KHz but did not like the rate of tuning and went back
to 80 KHz.

> The K1 seems very analog (with computer control),
> and
> I wonder if it works better in some respects then
> the K2?

I do not have a K2, waiting for a K3 to show up.
I have 48 states worked 47 QSL.

> I would guess the K1 is free from the odd noise the
> K2
> made at times when tuning, and frequency shifts
> between filter settings,
> and maybe the vfo is cleaner then DDS stuff?

I changed the 17M band for 15M a few months ago.
There is one birdie on 15m near the high of of the
tuning range (if 80 KHz) other than that it is very
clean

73, Ty, W1TF  K1 #1423